A list of useful extensions for Visual Studio Code that I’ve found improved how I write code.
Bracket Pair Colorizer
- Colours brackets and parentheses in your code, making it much easier to see where your code blocks are.
- Colours your comments based on what you're using them for. Makes it much easier to see when you need to go back and fix something you left a comment about
- Adds a new tab in the navigation pane showing all your "//TODO:" comments, making them easy to find and work through. Great when combined with Better Comments.
Highlight Bad Chars
- Sometimes when copying code from another application, the wrong character can be used - for example "̵ " instead of "-". They look identical, but can cause code exceptions. This extension highlights them for you.
- Allows you to press tab to jump out of quotes, brackets etc. Very useful when combines with VSCode's auto closing tabs feature.